In August 2021, NJDEP posted a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) list on their Emerging Contaminant web page to provide additional information to assist the regulated community, which includes all sites within the NJDEP Site Remediation Program (SRP), with compliance. The FAQ list includes current requirements for initial site evaluations, when to submit results of evaluations, notification requirements when emerging contaminants are found, and how to manage public notice, Remediation Funding Source (RFS), Remedial Action Permit (RAP) certifications, regulatory deadlines, and Response Action Outcome (RAO) Notices for the site. On the technical side, some clarification on a variety of site investigation components is provided, including:
- initial evaluation decision-making;
- laboratory and data requirements;
- evaluating the migration to groundwater pathway;
- waste management;
- investigating groundwater;
- commingled plume situations;
- upgradient source situations; and
- contaminated water supply as a source.
In summary, NJDEP continues to advance their emerging contaminants requirements intended to protect human health and the environment.